Minimum Use for Canvas
Faculty must adhere to minimum use requirements inside the Canvas environment. Instructors are required to use Canvas in all face-to-face courses to accomplish the following:
- Communicate with students using Discussions, Conversation Inbox, Announcements, and/or Assignment Comments
- Upload and organize content using Modules, Files, Assignments, and/or Discussions
- Upload course syllabus into Modules and/or Syllabus tab
- Use the Canvas gradebook for record keeping and access in emergency situations for any or all of the following:
- Post student scores.
- Record assignment scores or letter grades.
- Track student progress throughout the term.
For directions on how to use the required Canvas components, please review the Canvas Basic Training course in Canvas. All faculty and staff are enrolled in this training in Canvas.
New faculty can also review the New Faculty Procedures page to access general information about the college, our learning management system (LMS), Canvas, and other PHSC systems. Returning faculty can review the Beginning of Term and End of Term procedure pages to find a list of important items for the start and end of each term.
To obtain information on how to access Canvas and update/change a password, visit the Accessing Canvas page.
To view a list of all upcoming Canvas training, visit the Training page.
These video tutorials demonstrate how to use different features in Canvas. Find overviews on the global interface and the course interface in Canvas, setting notification preferences, uploading documents, choosing a course home page, editing course navigation settings, and how to get help in Canvas.
The Canvas Guides provide online documentation for students, instructors, instructional designers, parents, and LMS administrators. The lessons are continually updated online and the downloadable PDF manuals are updated for every release.