This course will further develop your skills in creating, facilitating and managing your online courses, along with the skills to plan, implement, and support accessible technology in your online course curriculum. Over the scheduled five weeks for the course, you will learn to enhance your online course materials by following best practices in universal design and accessibility guidelines. Information in this course is broken up into different types of content, with details on how to ensure that the content can be accessed by all of our students to promote an inclusive educational online environment at PHSC.
The course is designed primarily for instructors seeking recertification. Overall, the course will prepare you to:
- Understand the history and current state of accessibility regulations in the United States and at Pasco-Hernando State College.
- Ensure that your course material(s) meet legal guidelines and standards.
- Explain the importance of ensuring accessibility for all online educational materials.
- Create accessible online educational materials with text, image, audio, video, and presentation content types.
- Check for accessibility in text, image, audio, video, and presentation content types.
- Evaluate third-party digital content for accessibility.
- Remediate accessibility issues in digital content.
- Embed and incorporate accessible content in your online course(s).
- Implement the essential skill sets necessary for teaching in an online environment.
- Incorporate effective best practices and strategies for teaching in an online environment.
- Optimize student learning with the use of educational technologies and PHSC’s learning-management system (Canvas).